Countdown to a Healthy Summer — Week 3
This week I’m tackling how to eat out successfully. This advice is for those of you who eat out regularly and need to adopt some strategies for healthier and lower calorie eating.
How to order:
- Choose lean meats and fish that are baked, poached, broiled, or steamed
- Choose foods that do the portion-control for you (i.e., soup, small plates/tapas or appetizers)
- Avoid beverages other than water — no calories in your drinks!
- Avoid fried foods
- Sub-out high fat or large portion rice, pasta and other grains for double-veggies or a side salad
- Limit or avoid alcohol
- Order salad dressings on the side so you can control amount used; use dip and stab method
- Order burgers and sandwiches with sauces/dressings on the side, or not at all
- Skip cheese on sandwiches, burgers and salads
- Order salmon or grilled chicken entree salads as your meal
- Order first! Don’t let others influence your decision
- Check out the options online first, know what you’re going to order before you get there (don’t even open the menu!)
- Don’t come hungry; plan a snack 1-2 hours before the meal
- Eat your veggies/salad first — eat lowest calorie to highest calories
- Eat bread plain — don’t soak it in seasoned oil or butter — this alone can save you 100’s of calories!
I worked on an article with Jennifer Huget of The Washington Post last week where we gave tips on healthy, low calorie lunch options at the “company cafe.” Check out my suggestions here.
Next week, we’ll focus on meal planning and at-home eating! Fast and simple recipes using 3-5 ingredients.