Healthy Choices For Eating On-The-Go
One of the biggest challenges when working toward food confidence is eating on the run. Eating out is difficult enough, but when you need to eat on the go, the situation gets a little more dicey.
How do you keep it real with your weight loss goals and still eat out?
In a perfect world, everyone would plan their day accordingly and not have to make an eating-on-the-go decision, but I know that is not always the case. Good thing my strategy is pretty easy.
All you have to do is make a list of the food places you typically find on your daily path and determine the safe bets available for healthy eats. Hopefully by taking this simple step you’ll be less likely to throw in the towel in a fit of hunger and succumb to the first food joint you see like (gasp!) a 7-Eleven.
Below are some healthy meal ideas to get you started. All of these meals are low in fat, calories, and sodium, are lean protein sources, and are moderate in carbs (meeting this criteria was not as easy as I thought it would be).
- You Pick Two: 1/2 Roast Beef Sandwich on Artisan Whole Grain Loaf + 1/2 Classic Cafe Salad Substitutions: no cheese on the sandwich; switch out bread from Asiago to Artisan
- Vegetarian Option:Classic Cafe Salad + Large Black Bean Soup
- Skinny Mushroom Melt + 1 cup Garden Vegetable Soup
- Chickpea Veggie Salad with Fat Free Dressing
- Ham or Turkey Skinny/Thin-cut sub with Mustard, Lettuce, Tomato
- Black/Pinto Bean Burrito Bowl with Chicken or Steak, Fajita Veggies, Lettuce, Tomato Salsa
- Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich with Ketchup/Mustard + Large Fruit Cup
- Chicken on Flatbread with Hummus Artisan Snack Plate
- Roasted Vegetable Panini
- Ham & Swiss Sandwich
- Turkey & Swiss Sandwich
- Chicken Santa Fe Panini
Your favorite restaurant not one of these? No problem. I can come up with a healthy option from just about anywhere so comment below or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will be glad to help you out!
Here’s to healthier eating on-the-go!
Danielle Omar, MS, RD