Get your squash on with a hearty and delicious chipotle and ancho chili made with organic tempeh and butternut squash!
I love being able to eat the same meal as my husband. It’s a rare occurrence but when it happens, it’s pretty cool. In this particular case, I’m talking chipotle chili!
A simmering pot of tasty chili on the stove while watching the football game marks the beginning of fall in our house. Keep in mind I rarely watch the football game and I hardly ever get to eat the chili, but I still like the idea of it. The typical scenario for me is I’m cooking up a meaty chili for Hany while he’s watching the game. I end up watching him eat the chili while I eat a salad. The worst part about living with a meat-eater is cooking a meal and not being able to eat what you make. But not this time! This time I made a meat-free chili that any meat-eater would enjoy! I used crumbled up tempeh for the meaty part, two different kinds of beans, hominy, and diced butternut squash.
I’m kind of a spice junkie and chili pepper is one of my favorite go-to seasonings. For this recipe I used a combination of chili powders (including chipotle and ancho chili), turmeric and cumin. I garnished with scallions, chopped cilantro and Cabot’s Legacy Collection cheddar cheese. So good! The perfect mix of flavors and a lovely lunch on a sunny fall afternoon.
Chipotle Chili with Tempeh and Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 package organic Tempeh crumbled
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup butternut squash diced
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 1 can pinto beans drained
- 1 cup hominy
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- Couple of shakes liquid smoke
- Diced scallions chopped cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese, for topping (optional)
- Heat oil in large dutch oven. Add onions, peppers and tempeh along with 1 Tbsp each of the chili powders, cumin, paprika and salt. Saute until vegetables are soft and tempeh is browned.
- Once browned, add the butternut squash, beans,hominy, and canned tomatoes along with 1 Tbsp more of chipotle chili and the turmeric. Taste and season, as needed. Add the smoke, if using. Simmer on stove until butternut squash are tender. Serve topped with cheese, cilantro and scallions or whatever you love!