This month’s Recipe Redux is fun for me because it’s something I write about all the time — getting back to the dinner table.
Show us your favorite recipe to help families get ‘back to the dinner table.’ It might be a favorite family recipe from your childhood that you’ve ReDuxed…or a current family favorite. Let’s all gather back at the table!
Most of my meals are healthier renditions of childhood favorites, so this was a cinch.
I chose pasta with peas, or as my mom would call it pasta e piselli. If this dish doesn’t bring me back to the table, nothing will. I’ve been enjoying this super simple dinner for as long as I can remember, and it never disappoints. Usually made with white pasta, I health’d it up a bit using my favorite black bean noodles. I love the contrast of color and nutty flavor the black bean pasta adds.
As I’m sure is the case in any Italian family, pasta with peas dates back well beyond my own childhood. My grandmother made pasta with peas for my mother when she was a kid, too. It was a classic Friday night go-to meal made with budget-friendly pantry ingredients!
[Tweet “This old-school Italian favorite will bring your whole family back to the table! #pasta via @2eatwellRD”]
Black Bean Pasta with Peas
- 1 lb Explore Asian Black Bean Pasta
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 bag frozen peas canned peas work, too
- Sea salt and pepper
- Saute onions in olive oil on med-low heat until translucent.
- Add peas, herbs, salt and pepper and continue cooking until peas are tender.
- While peas are cooking, bring pasta to a boil in salted water and cook until al dente.
- When pasta is ready, drain noodles (reserve some extra pasta water for the sauce).
- Toss the peas with the pasta, adding a little of the pasta water, if needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.