This hearty buckwheat and chia breakfast bowl is gluten and dairy free and supplies everything you need to fuel your morning!
Today is National Cereal Day and what better way to celebrate than with a cereal recipe! When I was a kid, cereal was a mainstay in our house. My mom was uber healthy back in the 70’s it wasn’t the Trix or Fruit Loops my friends were having. Her idea of cereal was along the lines of Kix and Grape Nuts, but we still scarfed it down (and if I ever did get my hands on a box of Trix or Fruit Loops, I scarfed that down, too).
But that was then. My palate has changed a bit now and although those cereals are still fun to eat, they aren’t what I consider a decent breakfast. I need fiber, a little fat, and some protein to fuel my morning!
My go-to cereal nowadays is my homemade muesli. But sometimes I like to mix it up. This Almond Cardamom Chia & Buckwheat Bowl is half pudding, half muesli. It’s like chia seed pudding with a little zing! Instead of almond milk, I whipped up a sweet and spicy coconut milk blend using cardamom, dates, vanilla, and almond butter. The raw buckwheat groats stay crunchy in the almond-coconut-cardamom milk and give the bowl some texture. The slightly thawed frozen Wild Blueberries provide the perfect amount of cold, and the bananas offer a nice sweet taste (as does the honey I drizzled on top). The cocoa nibs and sliced almonds provide even more crunch.
It’s a hearty breakfast bowl that provides everything you need to fuel your morning.
Almond Cardamom Chia Buckwheat Power Bowl
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats raw
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 5 medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup wild blueberries
- 1 tbsp cocoa nibs
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup coconut milk from can
- honey for drizzling if desired
- Combine dates, vanilla, cardamom, coconut milk, salt, and almond butter in blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine buckwheat and chia seeds. Add coconut milk mixture to bowl and stir well.
- Place in fridge for about 15 minutes or overnight.
- Top with wild blueberries, almonds, cocoa nibs and almonds before serving. Drizzle with honey, if desired.