I fell in love with curry back in Graduate school. It was the late 90’s and I was living in Harrisonburg, Virginia at the time, when JMU was home to a few cozy vegan eateries. I would wait in line for an hour on Sunday morning for The Little Grill’s buckwheat pancakes and homemade falafel and Friday night often included a run to the Indian-American Cafe for Gobi Aloo. I made that dish for years using my Good Housekeeping cookbook, and the smell of curry still reminds me of that time in my life.
Nowadays I like to put a healthy spin on old favorites. This Curry Cabbage & Cauliflower Stir Fry pays homage to my grad school days and my love of all things curry and turmeric.
This stir fry is super simple to make and includes three awesome veggies in one delicious dish. After a quick saute of the shredded cabbage, I added curry, turmeric and cumin — one of my favorite spice trios. Then I stirred in cauliflower rice and frozen peas, which took this stir fry to a whole new healthy level.
Why is this stir fry as good for you as it is delicious? Well, it contains not one, but two cruciferous veggies (the cabbage and the cauliflower) and these guys are well-known nutrition powerhouses. It also contains turmeric, which I add to everything these days (even a smoothie) and can’t stop writing about. Oh, and don’t forget about peas. These kid-friendly legumes are bursting with nutrition goodness, too.
This Curry Cabbage & Cauliflower Stir Fry is:
- full of antioxidants
- anti-inflammatory and cancer preventive
- super tasty
- warm and comforting
- gluten free
- low carb
- high in fiber
- heart healthy
It also requires just 15 minutes and less than 10 ingredients to prepare. Another awesome win in my book.
Here are four ways you can repurpose this stir fry all week long:
- add a few scrambled eggs to it for breakfast
- create a Buddha bowl with it
- serve it inside a lettuce wrap
- Mix it with some ground beef or turkey for an Indian Goulash
Curry Cabbage & Cauliflower Stir Fry
- 1/2 whole cabbage shredded (you can use pre-shredded bag, too)
- 1 cup riced cauliflower you can use frozen, too
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry
- Using a food processor, shred the cabbage and rice the cauliflower. If using frozen riced cauliflower, defrost 1 cup. Heat coconut oil in large saute pan. Add onion plus 1/4 tsp salt and cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add shredded cabbage (you might have to do this in batches). Once all the cabbage is in the saute pan, stir in ginger, spices and remaining salt.Then add peas and cauliflower and mix gently to combine. Top with lemon before serving.
Wait, there’s more! Would you like a chance to win yourself $700 in Amazon cash?
That’s right, I’m celebrating this month with a St. Patrick’s Day Giveaway.
I’ve teamed up with some great bloggers to bring you this amazing giveaway. The more of these awesome bloggers you follow, the more chances you have to win!