As you know, I usually don’t venture much into baking, but I was getting sick of my usual breakfast (peanut butter toast) and needed a change.
This gluten and dairy free recipe was simple enough. Just combine all the ingredients together and bake. Right up my alley! I used a mix of almond and coconut flour because my all-purpose flour was not super fresh. I did have some whole wheat flour in the house, but wow, that stuff is hard to bake with. I’ve tried adding it to recipes and they end up tasting like wheat bricks! For some reason I get a better turnout when baking with gluten free flours.
Wild blueberries are also a favorite in our house. They sweeten just enough and allow me to use less sugar. Plus, the flavor isn’t super overpowering. Of course they’re also crazy healthy! Recent research even shows they have mood boosting effects. What better way to start the day, right?
Wild Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup wild blueberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flax seed, ground
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until a creamy. Add oil, eggs and maple syrup and mix well.
- Pour the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Gently fold frozen Wild Blueberries into the batter.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and pour in the batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes. When fully cooked, lift the parchment paper out of the pan and let cool before slicing.