Grilled Cheese with Avocado & Basil
I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cabot Cheese and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Grilled Cheese doesn’t have to be boring
Toasted bread and gooey, melty cheese…I mean, what’s not to love?
This grilled cheese sandwich was sort of created by accident. I’d been on a basil-toast kick for about a week or so, trying to use up the surplus of fresh basil given to me from a friend’s garden. I would chop the basil up really fine, warm it in a saute pan with some garlic, butter, and olive oil, and then smear it on fresh Challah bread. Then I’d grill the bread right there in the pan. This alone is a-mazing!
Then I thought….hmm….why not add some cheddar cheese and a few slices of avocado and make a super fancy grilled cheese?
OMG. This sandwich is crazy good.Jump to Recipe
I used Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, which made this kid-favorite just a little more gourmet, but still budget-friendly. Cabot is my go-to cheddar because of their simple, yet delicious recipe: milk, salt, and cheese making cultures. I also love that everyone can enjoy Cabot Cheddars. They’re naturally lactose-free and gluten-free.
I’ve been supporting Cabot cheese for years! Aside from the taste, I love that Cabot is a cooperative owned by 800 farm families throughout New England & New York. And 100% of the profits go back to the farmers (which is AMAZING)! I also love that Cabot farmers participate in the National Dairy FARM Program. They follow standards of practice to ensure that the cows are ethically raised and they don’t use artificial growth hormones.
Cabot cheddar cheese is what makes this grilled cheese flavorful, super decadent, and totally delicious. If you’re looking for a fancy twist on a weeknight meal that will please any palate, this sandwich is sure to be your new favorite.
I hope you’ll try it for yourself, or someone you love!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Avocado & Basil
- 2 thick slices Challah Bread
- 3 oz Cabot Sharp Cheddar Cheese sliced
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil
- 1 cup Basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Avocado sliced
- Chop up the fresh basil and mince the garlic.
- In a large saute pan, heat the butter and/or olive oil, garlic, and basil. Stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Once melted and combined, spread the basil onto one side of each slice of bread, then place each slice of bread, basil side down, into the saute pan.
- Once browned, add the cheese slices to one of the slices of bread, then top with the remaining slice of bread. Cook until the cheese melts, flipping sandwich as needed.
- When cheese is melted, remove from heat and add avocado slices to the sandwich. Serve and enjoy immediately!