This recipe was my way to use up a few perfectly ripe avocados and give my Brussels sprouts an air of decadence. I think I succeeded.
First I tossed the Brussels with some olive oil and the Zhoug spice blend in the picture above. I love these pre-made spice blends. I always pick them up when I see a new one at the grocery store. This blend was part of a 3-pack from Trader Joes. They really make it easy to roast anything and get great flavor. The Zhoug is a Middle Eastern blend combining chili powder, cumin, dried parsley, cloves, and cardamom.
Once they were roasted, I tossed the Brussels gently with an avocado cream. I could have eaten them just as they were but as I mentioned, I was going for decadence. I blended an avocado with lime juice, some Creme Fraiche I had in the fridge, and a little bit of cumin and chili powder.
I mixed just my lunch portion with the avocado cream and then saved the rest for heating up later. Something about heating the avocado cream mixed with the Brussels just felt wrong. Warm avocado? I just don’t know about that….
I enjoyed this dish for lunch atop some warmed lentils and it was so satisfying; it’s a great make-ahead dish that will keep all week.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Avocado Cream
- 1 lb brussels sprouts halved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- seasoning spice blend (i.e. chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, garam masala, etc.)
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp Creme Fraiche (or greek yogurt)
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice Brussels sprouts in half and place in large bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and seasoning. Shake bowl to mix well or toss with wooden spoon. Lay out on baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, tossing once during cooking.
- In the blender, add the avocado and remaining ingredients. Blend until well combined. Add more water if too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Once Brussels are done, toss about 1 cup or so with about 1 tbsp of the avocado cream and serve over lentils or baby spinach. Reserve remaining sauce and Brussels for later in the week!