My mom is known for whipping up a tasty meal, given very little lead time or ingredients. Back in the days when I was living off peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, I could show up at her house, no matter the time, and be guaranteed a home cooked meal. Even today, having “nothing in the house” to me is a full pantry of opportunity for my mom.
Since I’m kind of an anti-baker the idea of a spinach pie is pretty daunting. For my mom, it’s a no-brainer. She can have it mixed up and in the oven baking before I can even gather up all the ingredients. I definitely did not inherit her oven skills, I’m a stovetop cook all the way. And pie crust? No thank you.
She has made this pie for pretty much every occasion under the sun. Parties, pot-lucks, showers, card games, supper clubs, meet-ups, Sunday night dinners — this spinach pie has gotten around and it’s always a hit.
Over the last 20 years I’ve gotten more confident in the kitchen. You might even say I have mastered this spinach pie. Although I still get nervous around the whole pie crust business, the preparation is really quite simple. Frozen spinach, eggs, a few different types of cheese, and some fresh herbs are really all it takes. For this particular spinach pie I used fresh goat cheese — that I actually made myself! My sister and I took a cheese making class last weekend at Georges Mill Farm so I could not resist throwing some fresh goat cheese into the mix. You see, I’ve come a long way.
I actually made this pie for the Recipe Redux challenge this month, which is all about baking up glorious summer pies with a healthy twist, either sweet or savory. I think this pie sits squarely on the fence between a decadent slice of heaven and a healthy serving of greens, don’t you?
Oh, and if you love pie, click the little blue box under the recipe below and you will find a ton of healthy and delicious pie recipes to pin for later.
Mom’s Famous Spinach Pie
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 scallions chopped
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Grated nutmeg
- Prepared pie crust or make your own if you have the skills!
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Defrost spinach and drain completely.
- Saute chopped scallions in butter.
- Combine spinach, cheese, eggs, scallions, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place prepared pie crust in bottom layer of a pie plate.
- Add spinach and cheese mixture to pie.
- Grate fresh nutmeg over mixture.
- Add top layer pie crust and pinch pie closed. Brush with egg or milk.
- Bake at 375 for 40-45 mins.