Salad month continues with my Miso Kale Caesar recipe. It’s a healthed-up version of an iconic salad. It deliciously delivers all that is great about this beloved menu mainstay: lettuce, cheese, and bread. Does it get any better than that?
I remember in high school I went on a Caesar salad kick. I decided that whenever I ate out, that’s all I would order: a fully dressed Caesar salad. No dressing on the side business. No fish or protein on it, either. It was pretty easy to do, most menus offer a Caesar salad of some sort. I’m not sure why I did this or how long my Caesar salad kick lasted, but I bet I enjoyed it!
My taste buds have grown up a bit since then and now I tend to go for the Caesar when it’s doing a little something special. Like my Miso Kale Caesar with homemade croutons. There’s little not to love about this healthy bowl of creamy greens topped with toasted bread!
The Miso Caesar dressing is a delicious mix of Parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, miso paste, garlic, and Dijon mustard. I tend not to over-dress my salads, which is great because a little goes a long way with this flavorful dressing.
I massaged the miso caesar dressing into the curly kale and let it sit in the fridge while I made the croutons. I brushed some olive oil on two slices of whole grain sprouted bread, seasoned them with Herbamare seasoning (Italian blend) and then just popped them into the toaster oven.
Once the toast was ready, I added a few slivers of Parmesan cheese and this salad was ready for eating! I love serving it topped with the warm croutons.
If you’re a Caesar salad fan, I hope you’ll give my version a try![Tweet “Love this healthed-up version of a beloved salad, hail Caesar!”]
Miso Kale Caesar
- 1 head curly kale de-stemmed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 3-4 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- Sea salt and pepper
- Parmesan shavings as garnish
- In a blender, combine the grated Parmesan cheese, miso paste, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and mustard. Blend until mixed and then add water as needed to thin down dressing. Remove kale from stems and place in large bowl. Add dressing and massage into kale with both hands until kale wilts and shrinks down. Brush olive oil onto bread slices and season with salt and pepper (or seasoning salt). Toast bread and then slice into squares. Add salad to bowls and top with croutons and Parmesan shavings.