This creamy gluten and dairy free parsnip pasta is old-school comfort food at it’s best.
I had a bag of parsnips sitting in my fridge for a while so I decided to get out my spiralizer and create parsnip pasta! I tossed the pasta with a favorite sauce from my raw cooking class days. This raw cashew sauce is an awesome substitute for Alfredo, if you’re either not eating dairy or, like me, just don’t like cheesy sauces. Don’t be fooled by the fact that it’s made with cashews. This sauce rivals the decadent creamy texture of any cheese sauce, without being greasy or hard-to-digest.
After spiralizing the parsnip noodles I sauteed them in a bit of oil to soften them up. I usually don’t bother with heating my veggie noodles, but parsnips have a slight bitter bite when eaten raw. It’s crazy how just 5 minutes in a saute pan transformed them from bitter to nutty, sweet and delicious. Roasting has the safe effect. Have you tried roasted parsnip chips? They are a super tasty treat! Just slice up, season, and roast until crispy.
I think all spiralized pasta should be topped with a nut or seed for good crunch. Shelled pistachios complement the earthy parsnips perfectly. I seasoned the pistachios myself with one of my favorite Dizzy Pig seasoning blend. Their limited release IPA herb-infused seasoning blend gets a workout at my house. I put it on everything — from Brussels to salmon to pistachios!
You need just a few ingredients to make this quick dinner or lunch, and it only takes about 10 minutes to make, start to finish.
[Tweet “This creamy parsnip pasta with cashew sauce and #pistachios is comfort food at its best!”]
Creamy Cashew Parsnip Pasta
- 3 parsnips, peeled and spiralized
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight (or at least 30 minutes)
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp raw pistachios
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- sprinkle parsley flakes
- Soak cashews in water overnight (or for at least 30 minutes)
- Peel and spiralize parsnips and set aside.
- In a blender, add drained cashews, water, salt, miso paste, garlic, hemp seeds and lemon juice. Blend well until smooth and creamy.
- Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add parsnips to pan and saute, covered, for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Place parsnips into serving bowl. Pour cashew sauce over noodles and mix well to combine.
- Place pistachios in a small bowl, season with your favorite spices or seasoning salt. Add a drizzle of olive oil to make sure spices stick to nuts Top pasta with parsley and pistachios and eat immediately.