One-Pot Cheesy Mexican Beans
I was asked to participate in this campaign with Cabot Creamery as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I was compensated for my time.
One pot meals are my jam. I love the idea of throwing everything together in my cast iron skillet and creating a satisfying meal that tastes amazing. In fact, one of the main reasons I don’t really love the meal kit trend right now is the mess it makes in your kitchen. When the clean-up takes longer than the cooking time, I’m out. That’s why I love this recipe. Not only do I use just one pan, I also use pantry staples I usually always have on hand.
I’ll admit, since I created this recipe for the folks at Healthy Aperture and Cabot Cheese, I got a little more fancy than my usual fare. But I’m totally thrilled that I did, because this dish is craveably good!
I used Trader Joe’s frozen grilled corn (which is super versatile, you can use it in so many dishes) canned black beans, canned tomatoes, spiralized sweet potatoes, frozen pre-cooked brown rice (so easy!) and of course I topped it all off with Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese.
Did you notice the new packaging? Cabot farmers have been producing the milk to make their cheeses for 100 years. To celebrate this 100 year milestone, you’ll now find Cabot’s award-winning cheddars in this new updated packaging. I love the new look!
I’ve been supporting Cabot for years! It’s my go-to cheddar because of their simple, yet delicious recipe, which has won Cabot every major award for taste: milk, salt and cheese making cultures. I also love that everyone can enjoy Cabot Cheddars. They’re naturally lactose-free and gluten-free.
This dish is one of my absolute favorites! It’s got all the delicious Mexican flavors that I love, and it’s super easy to throw together on any given night.
I hope you’ll try this recipe and let me know what you think![Tweet “These One Pot Mexican Cheesy Beans are the perfect weeknight meal! “]
One-Pot Cheesy Mexican Beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, riced
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 cup Cabot Pepper Jack Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Warm ghee or olive oil in cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until softened.
- Add sweet potatoes and continue cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, corn and green chiles. Season with cumin, chili powder, turmeric and
smoked paprika. Stir until well combined.
- Add vegetable broth and cook for 5 minutes more, then add canned tomatoes and cooked rice. Stir everything together and simmer on low heat for about 7 minutes.
- Stir in cheese right before serving and heat until cheese is melted.